Betting Tips – Stayers’ Hurdle – 3:30 – Cheltenham – 3m (2m7f213y) (New) Sun Racing Stayers’ Hurdle (Grade 1) (Class 1) (4yo+)
The Stayers’ Hurdle has a number of solid statistics associated with it. Traditionally it is a big field race so it is useful to filter out less likely winners on historical trends giving more time to look at the likely winners in more detail.
- No five year old has ever won The Stayers’ Hurdle
- The last 30 winners all finished in the first four in their final prep race
- 20 of the last 24 winners ran in the previous Cheltenham Festival
- British trained horses have won 17 of the last 21 renewals
- All of the last 14 winners had run previously at Cheltenham
- The last 13 winners had at least nine previous runs over hurdles
- 13 of the last 13 winners had previously won at least four times over hurdles
- 13 of the last 14 winners had at least two previous runs that season
- 13 of the last 14 winners had at least one win that season
- 12 of the last 14 winners were rated 157 or higher
- 11 of the last 14 winners had at least one previous Grade 1 win
- 11 of the last 14 winners were aged between six and eight
- 11 of the last 14 winners had at least two runs over the race distance
It is very, very difficult to look past the defending champion Paisley Park. However, he will go off at an odds on price as he has on his last two starts, so looking for an each way alternative to follow him home could produce a profit.
Our suggestion for Betting Tips – Stayers’ Hurdle is Somerville Boy.
Somerville Boy won the Supreme Novices’ Hurdle at the 2018 Festival and has looked better than ever on his last two starts which have both been at Cheltenham. The eight year old bay gelding won the Grade 2 Relkeel Hurdle over 2 miles 4 furlongs in January before taking on today’s favourite Paisley Park in the Cleeve Hurdle over 3 miles. He ran extremely well and appeared to relish the step up in trip to 3 miles finishing 1 and a quarter length behind Paisley Park. There does not appear to be any valid reason to suggest he can reverse the places but at odds of around 10/1 he does look good value to finish in the places.
Please note: tips are followed at your own risk. Please gamble responsibly.