Grand National Betting Facts
Everyone loves to have a punt on the Grand National, particularly as it is the one race where rank outsiders have been known to win!
Some famous gambles:
- The very first winner Lottery (1839) was made 5/1 favourite following his earlier success in the Cheltenham Steeplechase.
- Another successful 19th century punt came in 1866 when owner/ trainer Edward Studd had £1,000 at 40/1 about Salamander. His £40,000 winnings would equate to nearly £3 million at today’s values.
- Manifesto hit the bookies hard on both occasions he won the Grand National, in 1897 and 1899. He was sent off 6/1 favourite for his first win when owned by heavy-gambling Irish solicitor Harry Dyas. He was 5/1 second favourite two years later when scoring for new owner John Bulteel. The 4/1 favourite was his half-sister Gentle Ida, who fell.
- A confident Vincent O’Brien told owner Joe ‘Mincemeat’ Griffin to have a good bet on Early Mist in the 1953 race. Griffin won £100,000 when his horse came in and he also owned the 1954 winner Royal Tan, trained by O’Brien too.
- Prolific gambler Terry Ramsden bet £50,000 each- way at 8/1 about Mr Snugfit in the 1986. The horse, who was also combined in doubles and trebles, returned a profit when coming fourth.
- Papillon’s success in 2000 for trainer Ted Walsh and his jockey son Ruby was a popular victory. Tipped by the Racing Post’s Pricewise column at 33/1 on the morning of the race, he was sent off at 10/1 by race time.
- Part-owner Mike Futter estimated his total winnings were £800,000 when Monty’s Pass scored in 2003. The five-person Dee Racing syndicate netted over £1 million on the winner, who started at 16/1 but had been backed down from 66/1 by his owners.
- 100/1 Mon Mome (2009), Foinavon (1967), Caughoo (1947), Gregalach (1929) and Tipperary Tim (1928).
- 66/1 Auroras Encore (2013), Ayala (1963), Russian Hero (1949), and Rubio (1908).
- 50/1 Last Suspect (1985), Anglo (1966), Sheila’s Cottage (1948) and Forbra (1932).
Shortest priced winners:
- Poethlyn (1919) at 11/4
- Huntsman (1862) at 3/1
- Roquefort (1885) at 100/30