DAY 1 CHAMPION DAY, Tuesday 12th March
3:30 – Cheltenham – 2m ½f (2m 87y) (Old) Unibet Champion Hurdle Challenge Trophy (Grade 1) (Class 1) (4yo+)
The average number of runners in the Champion Hurdle over the last 10 years has been 11.6 with double figure fields in the last three renewals. With everything else going on in your busy day it can be hard to find the time to study the form lines carefully.
However, by considering the profiles of horses who have won the race previously it is possible to reduce the number of runners who need careful consideration to a much smaller number. Consider the statistics below. Those of you who are just looking for a fun bet on the day should skip to the ‘Fun Statistics’ at the bottom of the page.
- Only one five-year-old has won the race since 1985
- 20 of the last 21 winners ran in the same calendar year
- 26 of the last 32 winners won on their last run before the Champion Hurdle
- There have only been four winners over the age of eight since 1951
- 19 of the last 26 winners had won at Cheltenham previously
- Irish trained horses have won this race on 10 of the last 17 renewals
- 12 of the last 13 winners has won at least three times prevoiusly over the race distance of 2 miles ½ furlong
- 10 of the last 13 winners had run at least eight times over hurdles prior to the race
- 10 of the last 13 winners were rated 163 or higher
- 11 of the last 13 winners had won at least once at Grade 1 level
What’s in a Name?
If you like to select your horses based on their names, here are some ‘fun statistics’ to help you make your choice:
- Horses with names beginning with the letter S have won the race 13 times or 15% of all of the renewals
- Horses with names beginning with the letter B have won the race 12 times or 12% of all of the renewals
- No other letter is in double figures
- Horses with names beginning with E, J, and O have only won once each
- Horses with names beginning with Q, T, U, V, X, Y and Z have never won the race
- Horses with two-word names are by far and away the biggest winners in the race with 51 wins or 59% of all of the renewals
- Horses with one-word names have won 28 times or 32% of all of the renewals
- Horses with three-word names have won seven times or 8% of all of the renewals and horses with four-word names have won just once
HAVE YOU GOT YOUR TICKETS FOR THE FESTIVAL 2019?
12th March 2019 – Day One: Champion Day – click here
13th March 2019 – Day Two: Ladies Day – click here
14th March 2019 – Day Three: St Patricks Thursday – click here
15th March 2019 – Day Four: Gold Cup Day – click here
If you buy tickets using these links we earn a small commission on sales – this costs you nothing and helps us keep our website free for you to use. Thank you.